Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My name is in the picture and other reasons why this is selfish...

This blog is selfish.
[There is a huge sigh of relief to transfer sentences and words I adore and think about at all hours to a form of print. It is like Joseph Gordon Levitt's "and I'm back in the game" in 10 Things I Hate About You but less cool.]
For this first time since question mark, I have not been asked/assigned to write something for a period of 10 months now. That is torture. Unreal. Devastating. And I am not really doing an awesome job of completing things outside of basic survival modes or, put simply, my job as a Pre-K teacher with Teach for America in the Greater New Orleans region. So writing has been tossed aside with a German major and a New York Times and a new cook book. I miss writing and editing and the thought process and journalism classes. It's a passion I take for granted: "oh, I can write while doing other things. I can always write." And while I have picked up this passion for inspiring kids to make their brains and dreams grow big, I miss red pens and grammatically-correct conversations and recording thoughts and stories for the sake of spreading joy or need or for the mere idea that other people have those thoughts, too. So I'll selfishly write here and make myself miss writing less (?) and hopefully keep updates for those I miss so much. After all, the stories one can collect not only just from the first year of living in New Orleans but also from my classroom of 16 pre-kindergarteners can be stories with great potential.
To be put frankly, I have 10 months of 3-year-old stories floating in my brain and want to write a book to remind people where we come from and how we start out when
every person around you is labeled as "friend" and counting to ten is exciting enough to silent cheer and ask to do it again. (I think we could learn a lot from our 3-year old selves. Or at least appreciate how far we have come.)
Here is where some of those stories will be, and I guess I'll feel content to regard time to write as a luxury--it will make me appreciate it more. Here's to this selfish blog. But call me to talk about grammar. Yes, do that.

1 comment:

  1. i'm thrilled to have your voice back out here, lauren!!! and your post about three-year-old minds just blew mine. :) i love you and cannot wait to read more!!!!!

    ReplyDelete